A classic restaurant favorite gets a grain-free makeover! This Whole30 chicken piccata is the perfect meal whether you’re eating grain-free or not. It would make a fantastic Valentine’s Day meal!
- 2 chicken breasts – sliced lengthwise or pounded approximately 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup Tapioca starch – or more if required
- 2-3 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 shallot – finely sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp capers
- 3-4 lemon wheels
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley – finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3-4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp spicy, smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 tbsp ghee (optional)
- Slice chicken breasts lengthwise into 1/4″ filets. Season all sides with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Preheat 2-3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, lightly dredge the seasoned chicken breast filets in tapioca starch.
- Carefully add the dredged chicken filets to the hot oil and pan-fry for 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Note, depending on size of skillet you may have to work in batches.
- Transfer browned chicken to a paper towel-lined tray.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic, shallots, lemon wheels and capers to the same pan used to brown chicken. Sauté for 60 seconds. Deglaze with chicken stock and lemon juice.
- Using a wooden spoon, scrape off any brown bits that formed on the bottom of the pan. Bring the stock to a light simmer and reduce by half. Finish the sauce by stirring in a knob of ghee (optional).
- Return browned chicken to the pan, give everything a quick toss to coat and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve overtop of zoodles or pureed cauliflower.